Customer Service e-Filing Survey
If you interact with our court (Court of Appeal, Fifth Appellate District) or are a user of our e-Filing system, the court would like to hear your feedback.
File your documents through TrueFiling
Pursuant to California Rules of Court, Rule 8.70 and Local Rule 8, all filings in Civil, Criminal, Juvenile and Original proceedings must be made through the Court’s electronic filing system (TrueFiling). The forms can be found in the Forms Rules page.
Pursuant to Local Rule 8 self-represented parties may, but are not required to register for electronic filing, but must comply with this rule and the requirements of TrueFiling if they elect to register.
For Civil cases, filing your documents through e-Filing will satisfy the requirements for service on the Supreme Court under rule 8.212(c)(2).
How to Prepare Electronic Filings
Please see below for tips and formatting information for common documents filed via TrueFiling.
Electronic Bookmarking Tips
- Tips on Adobe PDF Bookmark Settings
- PDF Bookmark Zoom Settings
- How to Bookmark (video)
Writ Petition and Exhibits
Motion/Request/Application with Exhibits
e-Filing Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the questions below to reveal the answer(s). Answers pertain to the Fifth District Court of Appeal.
Q: Do I contact the Court regarding technical problems with the TrueFiling system?
A: No, You contact the help desk for TrueFiling by phone at (855) 959-8868 or by email at [email protected]
Q: Do I contact the Court for procedural questions re: filings?
A: Yes. You contact the Court of Appeal, Fifth Appellate District’s Clerk’s Office at (559) 445-5491.
Q: What are the Court’s filing fees?
- Appellants/Petitioners in most civil proceedings are required to pay a one-time appearance fee ($775) when they submit their Notice of Appeal to the Superior Court or when a new petition is uploaded into the TrueFiling system for filing.
- Respondents in most civil proceedings are required to pay a one-time appearance fee ($390) with their first filing. Most often the respondent’s appearance fee is submitted with the respondent’s brief.
- Please check the appropriate government code section, rule(s) of court or contact the Court of Appeal, Fifth Appellate District’s Clerk’s Office at (559) 445-5491 if you have questions regarding the court’s fees.
- Convenience fees are charged by TrueFiling. For questions regarding convenience fees, please contact the help desk for TrueFiling by phone at (855) 959-8868 or by email at [email protected]
Q: Do I need to include a bookmark for the Table of Contents?
A: Yes. Everything in the Table of Contents, including the words “Table of Contents” needs to be bookmarked.
Q: Does the 1st page (cover page) of every document have to start with the number 1?
A: Yes. The 1st page or cover page of all documents must be page 1 and numbered consecutively thereafter throughout the entire document. The cover page number may be suppressed and need not appear on the cover page.
Q: Do I have to e-serve all documents using the TrueFiling system?
A: No, but you must have a proof of service. You can submit your proof of service as a separate document in TrueFiling or include it as the last page(s) of your filed document.