Income support, Department of Veterans Affairs, low income support.#Low #income #support

by ,

Income support

Income support pensions are means-tested payments designed to assist with everyday living costs. They include:

From 1 January 2015, income deemed to be received from superannuation account-based pensions will also be included in the income test.

Service pension is a means tested income support payment that provides a regular income for people with limited means. There are three different types of service pension age, invalidity and partner service pension.

Age service pension

Provides income support for Australian veterans and mariners, Commonwealth veterans and mariners, and allied veterans and mariners. It is similar in many ways to the age pension paid by Department of Human Services (Centrelink) but is available five years earlier in recognition of the effects of eligible service.

Invalidity service pension

provides income support to Australian veterans and mariners, Commonwealth veterans and mariners, and allied veterans and mariners. It is paid to veterans considered permanently incapacitated for work due to medical factors, and not yet entitled to an age pension.

Partner service pension

Provides income support for a veteran’s partner. If a veteran is receiving an age or an invalidity service pension, his or her partner does not automatically become eligible and must meet the criteria for a partner service pension.

Social security age pension (paid by DVA)

Can be paid by DVA to veterans eligible for the social security age pension if they do not meet the criteria for a service pension. If the veteran is receiving a disability pension from DVA, DVA can act as an agent for Human Services to pay the social security age pension, simplifying matters for the veteran.

Defence Force Income Support Allowance (DFISA)

DFISA is an income support payment made by DVA. It may be paid to veterans or their partners when their social security income support payment is reduced or not payable because of a payment of adjusted disability pension from DVA.

Income support supplement

From 1 January 2015, income deemed to be received from superannuation account-based pensions will also be included in the income test.

Provides income support for war widow(er)s in addition to their war widow(er)’s pension. The war widow(er)’s pension is a compensation type payment and not means tested, but the income support supplement is means tested.


There are ancillary allowances which may be payable depending on the individual’s circumstances. More information about allowances such as those for clothing and transport is available.

Rent assistance and Remote area allowance

Rent Assistance is payable to support pensioners who rent their accommodation, subject to minimum rent limits.

Remote area allowance is payable to income support pensioners who live in designated remote areas of Australia.


Supplements are available to assist with the cost everyday living.

Pension supplement

The Pension Supplement is a fortnightly amount to help with the cost of prescriptions, telephone and internet connections, energy, water and sewerage.

Veterans supplement

Veterans Supplement is a fortnightly amount paid to some veterans, war widow/ers and orphans who do not receive an income support payment from DVA or Centrelink.

Energy Supplement

The Energy Supplement is part of the Household Assistance Package, which provides ongoing financial assistance to certain members of the veteran and defence community.

Energy Assistance Payment

The Energy Assistance Payment is a one-off payment to help eligible clients with rising energy costs and will be paid automatically in the week commencing 3 July 2017.

To be eligible you must have been receiving one of the following payments on 20 June 2017:

  • Compensation
    • Disability Pension;
    • War Widow(er)’s Pension;
    • Special Rate Disability Pension (under the MRCA);
    • Wholly Dependent Partners;
    • Permanent Impairment;
  • Income Support
    • Service Pension;
    • Income Support Supplement;
    • Age Pension.

The Energy Assistance Payment is:

  • $75 for those in receipt of a compensation payment; or
  • $75 for singles and $62.50 each for members of a couple in receipt of income support.

Eligible DHS customers also receive the payment; see DHS website.

MRCA and SRCA Supplements

The MRCA and SRCA Supplements are fortnightly payments to assist with the costs of living and the cost of pharmaceuticals.


DVA Gold Card, Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) holders may be eligible for concessions for a variety of goods and services, such as public transport, rates and utilities.

However, the eligibility criteria and nature of these concessions are determined by the individual provider or relevant State/Local Government, not DVA. So it is important to contact the organisation offering the concession to confirm your eligibility.

The concessions offered for the same product or service can also vary between different States, so the DVA Factsheets below provide an overview of the concessions available in each State and Territory.

In addition to the DVA Factsheets, more information about State and Territory Government concessions is available on the website.

For more information about health and other care services available to DVA health card holders (including Gold, White and Orange Cards), please refer to the DVA Health Cards webpage.

Commonwealth Seniors Health Cards (CSHC)

From 1 January 2015, income deemed to be received from superannuation account-based pensions will also be included in the income test.

For further information regarding the CSHC please view the Concession Cards section within Managing Your Pension webpage.

CSHC are available to eligible veterans, partners, war widows and widowers who do not receive either an income support pension from DVA or a pension or benefit from Centrelink and who meet an annual adjusted income test.

Veterans’ Pharmaceutical Reimbursement Scheme

Veterans’ Pharmaceutical Reimbursement Scheme automatically reimburses eligible veterans for out-of-pocket costs associated with the concessional pharmaceutical co-payment. The second annual payment under the Scheme was made in the last week of March 2014 for out-of-pocket costs incurred in 2013. Future payments will be made in March of each year for the previous calendar year.

How to make a claim

To make a claim, you can download claim forms from the forms section of this website.

You can also write to us at

Department of Veterans’ Affairs

In your capital city

Claims for pensions or benefits are considered by DVA on a case by case basis using evidence of your service and medical history.

More information on your benefits

You can speak to a DVA officer about available benefits, by contacting your local Veterans’ Access Network (VAN) office.

DVA’s Outreach Programme also provides information sessions on DVA benefits and entitlements to veterans in certain outer metropolitan and regional areas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *