File Your NJ-1040 From Your Computer
The New Jersey Division of Taxation is offering free internet filing of personal income tax returns for this tax season. Most resident returns can be filed using this program, including first-time filers*.
- It’s free . If you have access to a personal computer and the Internet, you do not need any additional equipment or software.
- It s fast. Returns filed using WebFile get into the State processing system in less than 48 hours.
- It s easy to use. The program guides you through the NJ 1040 return line by line.
- It s accurate. The program checks information as you enter it to minimize errors.
- It helps you track your return. You ll know that we received your return before you log off because you ll receive a confirmation number.
- It helps you with record keeping. You ll be offered an option to print out a copy of your return before you log off.
- You can speed up your refund. If you combine WebFile with Direct Deposit you ll receive any refund you are due even sooner. You can check on the status of your refund using the automated refund inquiry system (ARIS) by calling 1-800-323-4400.
- You can file now, pay later. You can opt to use an e-check, credit card (Fees Apply*) or print out a payment voucher and mail it with your payment by April 18, 2017. *The fee is added to your actual payment.
*NOTE: First time filers will be required to use direct deposit if due a refund.
You can even use WebFile if you claim credit for taxes you paid to other jurisdictions, (e.g. New York)
- Just check to make sure that you are eligible to use NJ WebFile.
- You need a web browser. The supported web browser is Internet Explorer.